Tuesday, December 1, 2009

mi amiga

Friends: I just want to introduce you to my three year old friend, Valentina. The first picture shows her with her mother Paula (on the stairs I built to the bedrooms). Even though I speak almost no Spanish, and Valentina speaks no English, we understand each other, and have great times together. Love is a language. The next two pictures are at el parque (the park) in Sunday dress.

Since I have been working at the Valero house, she has become my friend. She is mostly being raised by her grandparents for whom I have been working. She rarely gets out and doesn't get to see other little kids or play with them. When I first started working there she would kick me or spit at me. However, each time I would try to engage her in play. Eventually she would play catch. Then she let me read to her. Then, when I was through with work, I would sometimes take her for a walk/run around the block, or even several blocks. Now when I come to their house she runs to open the door and wants a hug.

Her mother didn't like to bring her to church as she was disruptive in Sacrament meeting and fought with the kids in the nursery. I encouraged them to bring her. As soon as the sacrament was blessed and passed, I would take her to a very large and beautiful park that is nearby where she could run and play. At first she was afraid of the swings, teeter totters and slides, and I was pleased to see that she eventually overcame her fears and tried them. She also found other kids her age and eventually started playing with them. We have been doing that for a couple months now. In fact, a couple times I have just picked her up at home during the week and take her there by bus and spent a few hours there. Through her I have gotten to meet other parents and grandparents and kids in the park.

When we started skipping out of church, she would have a fit when I tried to take her back. However, when w got back, I would go to the nursery with her and just sit on the floor, and be ready to restrain her when she got in a fight. The first couple times we went she spent most of the time sitting on my lap, and then sally forth to try playing. Next was total engagement with other kids and total indifference to my presence in the room.

Today we went to the park after the sacrament was passed, as usual, but Valentina's heart wasn't in it. She tried to want to swing and slide and play, but after a short time she headed for the gate and started down the street.(When we are together, I try not to direct her, but be there to help her do what she wants to do) I asked her if she wanted to return to the church and join the other kids and she did. I took her to the nursery and she never looked back. I got to join with the other gringo's for our English speaking gospel doctrine class; the first in a few months. I can see the time coming when if I want to go to the park, I will have to go alone.

Anyway, this little amiga has made her way into my heart. She is spunky and smart, and full of fun and tricks. I love the fact that her mother and grandparents not only trust me with her, but seem very happy to have me take her on outings. The grandparent in me needs a little kid for a friend. My connection to her and her mother and grandparents makes me feel like I have a family in Ecuador. That has added a dimension to this experience of being in Ecuador, that probably most visitors don't get, and that I value highly.

Pete (Elder Ripple)

No comments: