The second picture shows the breaker panel. What they had before was a knife switch for a main shut off, with two strips of lead solder for a main fuse. From that ranged a collection of wires of all descriptions and lamp cords spliced willy nilly with electrical tape. The system was ungrounded, and a complete hazard. It is now completely grounded, all wires in conduit, and junctions made in boxes. We have added outlets and in-wall switches. I cut into the concrete block walls and set in the conduit and stuccoed over the conduits. It is all exposed on the ceiling (bottom of the roof), but it looks a lot better than the birdsnest of wires that used to be there, and there are now 5 circuits, whereas before there was one for the house.
The third picture shows Valentina and her mother, Paula on the concrete steps we built and tiled. Before there were two rickety wooden steps going up to the bedroom doors with blankets over them. There was a steel post in the middle to support the roof. On the top of the concrete end wall of the steps is a pipe at an angle. It now supports the ceiling alond with the one unseen at the other end of the steps. The steps are covered with used tile they had saved and cleaned up.
These folks feel like they have won the lottery. They had saved money for years to build on a bathroom, and had been saving used building supplys, but with no idea how they were going to afford the labor and rest of materials, and rapidly appraching a time of life when it was starting to look like the dream might never come true. Not shown are five interior doors that I made frames for and installed to bedrooms, and bathroom and the old bathroom the size of a closet. We soon used up the savings, and thanks to some very generous people in Nova Scotia and US received donations that has enabled us to do what we have done.
Also not shown are the interior walls that were cement block. They are now stuccoed and topcoated and painted. The two bedrooms have tiled floors now. Starting last week we have begun building a set of front steps. As it is, they get to their house though a back door into an ally that is unpaved and very rough. We have a footing made and a support column. I am learning a lot that I didn't know about building with concrete, from looking at other construction jobs, and then giving it a try. I am enjoying it all immensely. It provides me with a diversion from working in the temple that puts balance in my life.
That is what has been happening. I don't want to seem like I am bragging here, but on the other hand, I am not ashamed of what I have been doing either. Marianna is an awsome cook, and has made sure I never go away hungry. I am getting to experience all kinds of traditional, but simple Ecuadorian foods. I am getting as much out of the whole experience as they are, and it is really nice to be part of an Ecuadorian family. I feel like I am helping my own kids and grandkid when I am there.
Love, Pete
No comments:
Post a Comment