So far, New Years seems to be the biggest celebration in Ecuador. The people make dolls of paper mache to get ready. Some are on display around the city during the week preceeding. There are places where there are open air markets where they sell them, such as is shown in the attached pictures. The market under the tree is also a manufacturing shop. Picture three shows a shell of a doll not yet assembled, and 4 shows a young artist putting on finishing touches. I think the under tree operation was a one family enterprise. There were many such operations going all over in this area of the city. These pictures were taken on Dec 31, and we were told that by evening every one would be sold.

People write down their troubles of 2008 and put them inside the dolls along with some firecrackers, and stack them in piles in the streets and then douse them with gasoline at midnight and set them on fire. I think it is a great idea if it works. Actually I think it is a great idea even if it doesn't work. It brings people together and promotes a positive attitude toward life.

All day long there are fireworks going off all over the city on the 31st. After dark, it increases. From 10:00 till midnight the fireworks are spectacular. From the roof of our 3 story alojamiento, we had a view of the city as far as the eye can see in all directions. People were setting off fireworks continually. These are not little piddly skyrockets either, but big ones, just like at any big fireworks display. Those plus some heavy duty firecrackers went off continually. From about 11:45 until shortly after midnight there was a frenzy of fireworks. At midnight the fires started all over the place as the people burned and blew up their troubles.

I wonder how many added to their troubles that night with all of the powerful fireworks that were detonated by amateurs. As temple president Rojas observed," these are a happy people." I would have to agree. As poor as many of these people are, I bet most of them managed to find a few dollars to celebrate with. It was the most incredible celebration I have ever seen anywhere. That much enthusiasm is contageous to be around. Even if you aren't a big fan of fireworks, it just brings a smile to your face to see this much enthusiasm as far as you can see in all directions.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. May all your woes go up in smoke. Love, Peter & Debbie
No comments:
Post a Comment