Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's about Time

Guayaquill is starting to feel like home. Who would have thought we would enjoy this Temple mission so much. I know!

The first thing I learned is how pleasant it is to not have so much stuff.We arrived here with 2 suitcases and a carryon each. The apartment was stocked with essentials. If you're thinking of downsizing, don't be concerned.It's so refreshing to not have to spend so much time and energy on keeping stuff in it's place and clean. Besides,someone else does that very well in this other House that I hang out in 6-10 hours a day 5 days per week. And the decorating is fabulous-- so elegant and peaceful and uplifting and totally uncluttered!

For a few weeks I thought I had broken away from the old decorating habit of making even new houses look old-- alas, Pete has built a computer desk from an old wooden pallet(you should have seen his face light up with pleasure as he headed off with a rusty handsaw, a square and a hammer to tear apart and rebuild), and now we have a palm tree stump in our living room as part of the decor. Some things never change, even if you travel to the other side of the world!
Debbie

2 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

Glad you are back to the blogging world. Can you post a few pictures? I want to put some on my blog and I can't save them from the emails you send.

When do you leave on your vacation?

Hannah said...

that's great! I want to see pictures when you have the time.

Isaiah "lost" almost all of his toys because he refused to pick them up and would throw them off the shelf if I tried to help get him started picking up. And it's lovely. Our house is so much neater and I don't think he has missed them yet. Someday when he's really bored I'll bring one of them out of the garage and then it will be new and exciting again.