Oka is a tuber about the size and similar in looks to a large iris bulb (large thumb). It is used in soups. Ecuadorians usually have a bowl of soup with every mid day meal (almuerzo). Soups are usually lumpy, with chunks of broken choklo, potatoes, oka and pieces of meat in them. The plants are dug from the ground with a large mattox, about 3 times the size of any I have seen in North America. The mattox is the tool that has tamed the andes. The patchwork quilt of gardens high up in the mountains is all dug with a mattox, and on hills that are 45% and steeper. Where we worked was on a bench, no slope. The rest of the people come along and take the tubers off the plants, while Luis and I went ahead with mattocks. The oka is a low plant. The tall ones in the picture are quinoa. It is a very small seed grain about the size of sesame that grows well in the mountains, is very nutricious and is used largely in that area. It lends itself well to hand harvesting. It is used the same as we use millet.
We harvested about 500 lbs of oka. A little old lady about 4'-6" was getting ready to lift a bag that weighed about 100 lbs and carry it home. I offered to help but she flatly refused. Somebody helped her get it up on her back and picture 3 shows her trekking off the quarter of a mile to her home. It is well she refused my help. I couldn't have done it. It seems that the people who could most benefit from a wheelbarrow can't afford on. We see a lot of stuff getting carried on backs.
The last picture shows Luis, Rasa and Debbie breaking choklo kernels off the older ears, to be used in soup etc. The younger ears will be used like corn on the cob after boiling for two hours.
1 comment:
Hi Sister Ripple,
I saw a postin about your blog on Jessica's and had to check it out, hope you don't mind. Your mission absolutely fascinates me and I am so excited to read of your experiences. I have always wanted to live (or at least visit) Central and South America. Thank you for posting on here.
Enjoy the rest of your mission,
Liz
Post a Comment