Friday, May 8, 2009

Seguridad

Security is a big item in Guayaquil. Armed guards are everywhere. They are found at mall entrances, as in the first two pictures, outside condos, apartment buildings, banks, office buildings and even some small shops. They usually wear flak vests, and carry a 12 guage shotgun with pistol grip and pump action. Many also carry a pistol and or baton. I have seen some with assault rifles or uzzies.
All houses have heavy steel grates over the windows, courtyards are surrounded by high masonry walls. One would get the impression that there is a lot of crime. I don’t read the news, so I don’t know, but I don’t think so. I think all the security acts as a deterrent. I have only heard of shots being fired once, when somebody tried to rob a bank in the mall. I have no idea how many bystanders were hit with buckshot, if any.
Picture three is in a large farmers market where all kinds of farmers and vendors bring their produce. Just in case somebody was thinking of running of with a mango without paying.......that rusty old shotgun might actually work.

From what I have learned, insurance is very costly, and not purchased by most people. Guards are a an inexpensive alternative. They provide a lot of local employment, and probably save a lot of money in other ways. By deterring crime the expenses are saved of trying to collect on insurance claims. There is no need to hire a lawyer to help collect on a claim. In fact, the whole legal system gets trashed. The guard is also judge, jury and executioner.

I think the North American practice of relying on insurance increases the cost of everything more than we realize, but actually encourages crime. It encourages homeowners to be lazy about their own security. This is another instance where I think Ecuador has things figured out just about right.

Pete

No comments: