Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ecuador from a Women's Perspective

Family and Friends,

We are nearing the 2 month mark since we left Nova Scotia and life is starting to settle with familiarlarity.

We live in a city of 3 million people which looks totally different from the small town we left.However, like most large cities it, too, is broken down into areas and as I become more familiar with this area in which I live it is taking on a certain hominess.

I love the people. They are so warm. The women all great each other touching cheeks and kissing the air by the ear , which gives a certain bond of support and caring and acceptance.The women are beautiful with their long thick glossy dark hair and warm skin. Everyone dresses well and up.They love their shoes and acccessories. At the temple, on the street and on the buses. The woman and all people young and old look good. I have rarely seen someone acting out-- no piercings in weird places , no tattoos, no torn clothes or baggy clothes. I have rarely seen anyone smoking or down on drugs. ( Now I may change my opinion after I have an opportunity to go to the very south of the city where there is more poverty). Where we live is a complete mixture of well to do and those without much ado. All properties adjoin with high walls of concrete or metal fencing surrounding each property. Well to do houses abut rundown houses. All are enclosed. Well ,I have seen one not enclosed but perhaps there would be not much to take other than the flock of hens running in and out the door searching for a living in the dirt by the front door.Old and new, rich and poor live side by side here.every so often I pass a property and hear the happy sounds of a rooster coming from behind the fence. (The eggs at the supermarket are unrefridgerated and fertilized) We spent Christmas eve in a home that was VERYwell appointed and a few days before Christmas in a home that had no bathroom or hot water and where water runs over the concrete floor when it rains. They ,too ,were grateful for their home . Perhaps having something when one knows it could be worse makes folks more grateful and appreciative.

Many homes in our area were abondoned half finised apparently at the turn of the century when the country converted from Ecuadoran currency to American dollars.Many lost big time. it was an economic measure to ensure stability. The president is quoted as saying it may be better to switch back.

The city is set at the convergence of 2 large rivers , which I have seen when downtown, but where we live are all gentle hills. The surrounding city is beautiful on these warm balmy nights with the lights of the houses and the rectangular shape of the concrete homes covering the hillsides, with palm trees silhouetted in the lights.I love to walk by day throughout this area of the city and look at the variety of homes and people and the trees and bushes covered in flowers . I am getting more immune to the constant honking and rush of the cars(i'm sure the horns wear out first), but I especially love walking in the evenings(its dark by 6:30 all year round)with its cooling breeze and the lights of the homes on the hillsides as I circle the enclosure in which we live .

This country exports oil, and bananas, and flowers and rice. Folks eat a lot of rice , it is the staple. Fruits are plentiful and our friends who have not much shared fruits that were gathered as drops in the "countryside" where he works as a supervisor at rice fields. A dozen long stem red roses cost 1.88 at the store .The current world credit crunch is also affecting adversely Ecuadors exports of oil and flowers.

Anything can be purchased here that can be puchased where you live-imports are more expensive than where you shop and can be unreliable in their availability, so if you want something particular that is imported and you see it ,buy it now; when you go back to the store it may not be there and I am told may not be for months. The malls look just like the malls in any large city. They are one half hour away by foot. I got a great haircut at a hairdressors-which was very busy and cheap--4 dollars, but I came right home and shampooed my hair well. Perhaps I would have seen fancier tools at the hairdressors at the mall but would have missed out on the experience at the local place just down the street. Ever frugal I saw that they were reusing the foils for highlights.

Yes , I miss my home and my family and my friends. but I am loving this experience with sights and sounds (the language is getting more familar) and tastes, and people.I wish you all a healthy and happy new year. Felix Anos.

Debbie/Mom/Nana

No comments: